A strong, healthy heart is vital for longevity. This section will give you the info you need to get heart healthy, be heart healthy, and stay heart healthy!
Fortunately, the best defense against heart disease is to avoid getting it in the first place. Don’t worry! It’s not impossible.
Here are five things you can do:
- Eat well: know the dos and don’ts to take charge today!
- Exercise: get your heart rate up for heart-healthy benefits. Start with 20 minutes three times a week to maintain a healthy weight.
- Get Screened: Early detection is key.
- Know the risk factors: you can’t control your family history or past environmental exposures or behavior, but you can control your diet, exercise, and lifestyle choices like not smoking.
- Take our quiz! There are lots of things you can do to stay healthy. Find out how you’re doing.
Why Heart Health Matters
Heart health problems include:
- Coronary heart disease
- Abnormal heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Heart valve disease
- Aorta problems, such as aortic aneurysm and aortic valve problems
In the San Luis Valley, heart disease is the #1 killer. In fact, it accounts for more than 30% of all deaths in the Valley. Women are 8 times more likely to die of heart disease than of breast cancer.
Great Local Support
The Valley is fortunate to great cardiac services. In 2011, we introduced our own Cardiac Rehab program, making sure that cardiac patients get the care they need locally when they need it… rather than driving all the way to Pueblo.
For most anyone who has had a heart attack or a bypass operation, Cardiac Rehab is an effective way to help prevent another one. It is clinically proven to improve a cardiac patient’s quality of life and to reduce the recurrence of subsequent heart attacks and related diseases. Find out more about the Cardiac Rehab program.