There are a lot of great health resources on the Internet, but it’s hard to know which sites are the best. We’ve listed our favorite local and national online resources below, to help you on your path to a healthier life.
- The Plate - Learn about recommended portion sizes for different types of foods and set up a personalized eating plan.
- Find Local Foods - Find a farmer near you to buy local grains, produce, diary, and meats
- Nutrition Matters - Read what the CDC has to say about good health and disease prevention
- Eat from the Rainbow - Use this tool to find out how many fruits and vegetables you need
- La Puente - Need help putting food on your table? Find a foodbank near you. Also ask a volunteer about the local community gardens or how to start your own.
- Get Active - Online tools to help you start living more actively, today
- Places to explore - Great hiking trails, walks, and outings in the San Luis Valley
- SLV Tourism- Find local land marks and geographic hotspots
- Bicycle Colorado- Find road and mountain bike trails across Colorado
- Great Sand Dunes- Pack a lunch and explore the tallest dunes in North America
- Sangres.com- Get your daily dose of the mountains and search for trails, scenic byways, and parks across Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana
- CDC - How much physical activity do you need? - Read what the Center for Disease Control says about physical activity.
- Let’s Move - Partner with First Lady Michelle Obama and push your kids and community to become more physically active.
Health News & Information
- Colorado Trust - Join others around the state in advancing the health and well-being of the people of Colorado.
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation - Keep up to date on national health and health care news.
- The Bell Policy Center - A nonprofit committed to identifying and promoting policies that help individuals and families access opportunities and move toward self-sufficiency.
- WebMD - Information on different kinds of health conditions, as well as tips for leading a healthy life.
- Kaiser Family Foundation - Read about the major health care issues facing the U.S.
- Go Red for Women - Helps women set up an online nutrition and fitness program
- American Heart Association - Tips for reducing risk of heart disease
- Understanding Diabetes - Learn about the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, and who is at risk
- DEEP - Diabetes education and empowerment program in the San Luis Valley
- Prevent Diabetes - Find out how to reduce your risk of developing diabetes
- Diabetes Programs - Learn about programs for people living with diabetes right here in the San Luis Valley
General Cancer Sites
- Sense of Security - Provides financial assistance to Coloradans with breast cancer.
- University of Colorado Cancer Center - Provides supportive care programs for cancer patients and their families.
- American Cancer Society - Serves cancer patients and their families by providing an information phone line, support groups, medical equipment and transportation.
- Cancer.net - Website for people living with cancer, their families, and friends. Provides information to help people make informed decisions about their health care.
- National Cancer Institute - Learn about different types of cancer and the risk factors associated with them.
- Women’s Wellness Connection - Provides free breast and cervical screening services to eligible women 40 years old and older.
- Cancer Care - Learn about San Luis Valley Health cancer care services.
Specific Cancer Sites
- American Lung Association
- American Sickle Cell Anemia Association
- Brain Tumor Foundation
- Breast Cancer - Susan G. Komen for the Cure - Information on free or low-cost mammograms and other sources of financial assistance for women with breast cancer
- Breast Cancer- African American Women
- Colorado Colorectal Cancer Screening Program - Get your sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy to remove colon polyps before they develop into cancer.
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Mycosis Fungoides Foundation
- Myeloma Foundation
- National Kidney Cancer Association
- Ovarian Cancer Coalition
- Prostate Cancer Education Council
- San Luis Valley Health Behavioral Health - Info about the relationship between your mental health and physical health
- San Luis Valley Mental Health Center - Links to national mental health resources
- Pulmonology Channel- Provides comprehensive, trustworthy information about conditions that affect the lungs and breathing, such as asthma, bronchitis, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- La Puente - Provides financial assistance for prescriptions, medical transportation, mental health services, and medical appointments
- Needy Meds - An information resource devoted to helping people find assistance programs for medications and other costs related to health care.
- University of Colorado Clinical Trials: The University of Colorado School of Medicine conduct hundreds of clinical trials and studies each year to help find ways to cure disease and improve quality of life. Some trials investigate the use of drugs, devices or therapies. Others emphasize behavioral changes.