The following article describes the services offered by San Luis Valley Health's Behavioral Health Department.
Did you know that approximately 75% of patients with mental health conditions (depression, anxiety, etc.) initially seek support from their primary care provider? Of that 75%, only about 5% get treatment from a mental health provider.
Yet, we know that most folks with chronic illness are likely suffering from some form of mental or behavioral health struggles, and that these struggles, if they go untreated, may exacerbate symptoms of chronic illness. AND, in some cases, behavioral and mental health struggles may even CAUSE these symptoms! Therefore, having behavioral health integrated within primary care ensures that our patients get holistic services, including a “check up from the neck up!”
Stress Impacts Us All
Stress impacts all of us. Stress can be caused by current life events, childhood stressors, or traumatic stress. Stress can be especially harmful when present for long periods of time. It drains our energy reserves, can interfere with sleep or appetite, and can cause depression, anxiety, and other mental struggles. If not treated, unrecognized stress builds over time and may lead to losing interest in what gives us join in life. Stress can also lead to:
- Relationship struggles
- Struggles with work
- Anxiety and panic
- Pain/Chronic pain
- Bowel problems
- Nausea and vomiting
- Breathing and swallowing symptoms
- Heart palpitations
- Sexual struggles
- Fatigue or sleep problems
- Medically unexplained symptoms
Behavioral Health services have been proven to help with reducing and managing stress before it takes over!
- Individual, couples, family, and group counseling
- Classes to address various health-related and behavioral health-related topics
- Screening, assessments, and some testing
- Education and brief interventions
- Supports for providers to provide in-room brief services
- Advocacy and support
- Referrals for medication management
- Other community referrals
- Employee Support Services
What we treat:
- Stress and other behavioral health conditions, as they relate to physical health
- Stress and other behavioral health conditions, as they relate to chronic conditions
- Behavioral health planning and modification to address health related conditions
- Anxiety and other stress disorders
- Substance abuse and dependence
- Family related stress
- Work related stress
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- Grief and loss struggles
- Pain Management: 1x/month, we run a 1-time class to help folks who struggle with chronic pain learn how to manage and even heal from chronic pain. Class is $10. Drop-ins welcome!
- Meditation for Chronic Illness: Every Tuesday, we provide a guided meditation for folks suffering from chronic illness. Managing stress, depression, and anxiety helps improve chronic illness symptoms. Meditation is a great strategy for achieving wellness! Class is free. Drop-ins welcome!
- Cancer Support Group: Coordinated by Oncology Navigation, we help facilitate a monthly cancer support group for cancer patients and survivors. The class includes an educational component. Class is free. Contact Theresa at 719-589-6319.
Who we treat:
We treat all age levels. Based on your needs, we may need to support you with getting more comprehensive care. We do not accept Medicaid insurance, but we have wonderful providers from the SLV Mental Health Center who can see you in the Stuart Avenue Clinic or in SLV Health's Pediatrics department.
Serving the community
In these sessions, you can address any personal needs, including the topics discussed above. Services are confidential. Support with after-care can be provided, as needed. To make an appointment, you or your family member would call Audrey at 589-8187 to schedule.