Our Wellness Department will be featuring several healthy recipes. This recipe only has 48 calories per serving (one muffin).
Healthy Egg Cups:
1 T olive oil
4 whole eggs
2 cups baby spinach-chopped
1 C red pepper- chopped
1 C green pepper-chopped
1 C yellow pepper-chopped
1 C onion- chopped
1 C mushrooms chopped
2 cloves garlic , minced
Salt, to taste
1. Start by chopping some veggies: red pepper, green pepper, yellow onion, mushrooms, and baby spinach! I like chopping everything pretty small, because I'm not a fan of big chunks, but the size of veggie is up to you! Now mince some garlic and crack some eggs! I used 4 whole eggs and 4 egg whites. Whisk the eggs together in a large four cup measuring cup and set aside. I like whisking the eggs in the measuring cup, because it makes pouring the mixture into the muffin tin easier later on!
2. Now, heat a non stick pan over medium heat. Once hot, add in olive oil. Then add in the red pepper, green pepper, yellow onion, and a pinch of salt. Saute for about 5-7 minutes, or until the peppers are tender. Add in spinach and mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes. In the last 30 seconds, add in minced garlic.
3. Taste and re-season with salt if necessary!
4. Pour the cooked veggies into the whisked eggs. Stir to combine. If you like, you could even add in a little hot sauce.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a muffin pan with cooking spray.
6. Pour the egg/veggie mixture evenly into the muffin pan. You'll have enough for all 12 muffin slots!
7. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the tops are firm to the touch or if an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
8. Let cool in the pan for a few minutes, before removing! Serve immediately or let finish cooling on a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for no longer than 4 days. You can, however, store these individually in the freezer! To thaw, remove from the freezer the night before and store in the refrigerator. Then just pop it in the microwave in the morning until warm.