It is Cold and Flu Season!
Searching for relief for your runny nose, sore throat, or cough? Because illness causes your body to release stress hormones that naturally raise blood glucose, you'll want to be sure that over-the-counter medications won't increase blood glucose levels, too.
Keep it simple:
- Choose pills not syrups
- If you choose syrup, make sure it is sugar free.
- Tylenol does not harm your kidneys
- Check the labels
- Cough meds:
- Guaifenesin and Dextromethorphan are ok.
- Epinephrine, Phenylephrine, and Pseudoephedrine can increase blood sugar.
- Antihistamines (Allergy)
- Loratadine, Brompheniramine, Chlorpheniramine,and Doxylamine are ok.
As always, it is best to ask your doctor before starting any new medication. Here are some helpful articles on the subject:
Please feel free to call us at 719-589-8056 with any questions or concerns. We are here to help you in any way we can. Diabetes Education and San Luis Valley Health want to make you successful and happy!